Visa for study in the United Kingdom
ScotsGrad founded by UK Alumni can assist students to help with a smooth visa process. Contact us to begin your visa process to study in UK if you have applied for UK universities through us. We at ScotsGrad will be happy to support you with your application to study in UK.
A student visa is a legal document that permits entry to study in UK. The validity is throughout the duration of the course. Individuals from India and other countries can access a visa to study in UK. The British government issues a student visa only to Universities approved official sponsors. This is to maintain the standard of education. Universities in the UK is a benchmark in the world of academic excellence.
What it takes to apply for a visa to study in UK.
Before applying for a visa to study in UK, the applicant needs to do the following:
- Find a university and place to suit your academic background. The university should be on the licensed list of sponsors from the UK Government.
- Apply for a FULL-TIME course in any licensed sponsor university in UK
- Get a Confirmation of Acceptance letter (CAS) to study in UK. This has to be from the very same University you have decided to study.
- Required funds to support yourself for the course fee and living expenses. The visa charges are set by the govt. The living expenses depend on where you decide to stay.
- You should be able to speak, read, write and understand English.
- The visa permits the applicant to stay and study in the UK throughout the course duration.
If you change your course or University, you must apply for another CAS and visa. It is important to be clear on your choice of course and University before applying for a visa to study in UK.
Types of student visas
Permitted period of Stay for visa to study in UK.
The general student visa Tier-4 to study in UK is valid till the complete duration of the course. International students can enter UK one month ahead. This entry is for a course duration of over eight months.
In 2020, the UK launched their new post-study work visa. This visa allows students to stay in the country for 2 years to work after graduating. The student needs to complete the degree within the duration of the course. Students starting their studies in the fall of 2020 or later will be eligible.
Visa Charges to study in UK
The charge for a Tier-4 (general) student visa to study in UK is £348. Before payment for a visa, the applicant needs to pay the medical insurance of £624.00. per year. Check the link gov.uk. for revision of charges if any.
Make online payment for medical insurance and visa, Using a Visa or Master card. Note: No cash payments at Visa offices are not accepted. No online transfers like RTGS or NEFT as well.
Course fee to study in UK
The course fee for a Post-graduation Full-time course can range from £10,000 and £30,000.
The tuition fee for an undergraduate One-year course would be between £9800 and £20,000. This is for the first year.
Living expenses to study in UK.
To study in UK the living expenses depends on the place you have decided to stay as an example:
If you decide to stay in Greater London. The least you should have in your bank to apply for a Student visa is £1,265. This amount should be for 9 months (£1265x 9 = £11385).
If you decide on studying outside of Greater London. The least amount you should have in your bank is £1,015 per month. This amount should be for 9 months (£1015×9=9135) to study in UK.
What is a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)
This Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS), is an offer letter. It comes along with a visa information form to study in UK. The applicant should make a payment mentioned in the offer letter. Fill details in the visa information form and submit it to the CAS department.
The CAS department will then send a Confirmation of Admission for studies (CAS). This will come with a reference number. Use this reference number at the time of applying for the visa online
The CAS letter is usually issued 3 months before the commencement of the course to study in UK.Financial resources
To apply for a visa to study in UK, finances with supporting financial documents is most required. Documents that cover expenses like course fees and living expenses. Living expenses depends on where the student has decided to stay.
- When parents sponsor, the financial statements of the sponsoring parent is necessary. Important: Only parents can sponsor and no other members of the family can sponsor.
- If a student has personal funds. The total tuition fee along with living expenses should reflect in his/her account. This should be in the account for at least 28 days before applying for the visa.
- When using an educational Bank loan. It should include the full course fee and living expenses. The Bank awarding the Educational loan must be UKVI approved.
- If showing a Fixed deposit, ensure the fixed deposit is active 28 days before applying for the visa.
- You can show a combination of Educational loans, Funds in account and Fixed deposits.
- Documents of a Scholarship offer, if awarded.
List of supporting documents at the time of applying for a visa to study in UK.
A series of supporting documents is a part of the online visa application to study in UK.
- A Valid passport to confirm Nationality and Identity. Check passport validity. A validity for two years from the date of entry into UK. The previous passport to show if travelled or not.
- Biometric information – The applicant needs to select a visa application Centre online. Then make an appointment to provide biometric information (fingerprint and Photograph).
- A Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from the university. Important document; a student cannot proceed to apply for a visa to study in UK. Check the list of institutions licensed to sponsor students. Click on students visa sponsorship.
- Financial statement of funds to support course fee and yourself.
- Sponsor letter from parents if they are funding your stay and course fees.
- Your tuberculosis test results if you are from a country where you have to take the test. (Indian nationals need this test).
- English language skill test, IELTS or alternative English score.
- Your academic documents, (Std X, XII, Transcripts, degree certificate).
- Written consent and proof of parental or legal guardian if the student is under 18 years old.
- Proof of student’s relationship with the said parent or guardian, if they are under 18 years.
- Immigration healthcare surcharge fee confirmation.
The skill of English Language
English is the primary language of instruction to study in UK. Non-speaking English background applicants need to take an English language skill test. The test evaluates skills like reading, listening, speaking and writing. Securing a score is important for a visa to study in UK. Some of the common English language tests are:
- International English-Language Testing System (IELTS) – Academic and UKVI
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) – Internet-Based Test (IBT)
- Trinity College’s Integrated Skills in English (ISE)
- Pearson Test of English (PTE)
- Cambridge Advanced Certificate in English (CAE).
Language test scores vary by institution and course applied. The sponsoring university may accept Results of the Indian Std XII exam. In such a case, the student need not take the IELTS.
Visa application process to study in UK
The application process to study in UK should have the following:
- All supporting documents to be ready for quick reference while applying online.
- Apply for Tier-4 (general) visa applications online. Please Register and create an account on the UK visa website.
- After completing the online form, submit it you will receive an application number. Print and sign.
- Pay the medical insurance fee and visa fee online.
- Choose a suitable date and time for an interview appointment to visit the visa centre. (VFS) This visit is to submit biometric information.
- Visa application will take 3 weeks from the date of online submission. You can also choose to apply on a priority visa paying an extra fee which approximates to £200
- Complete the online application form with all details asked for.
- Pay for Health insurance. The amount depends on course duration.
- Pay for Student visa fees and fix an appointment date.
- Upload documents.
- Visit VFS on the day of the appointment and give your biometrics.
- Once the visa approves you will also receive a decision letter. This will say where the student can pick up the (BRP) – Biometric Residence Permit.
The decision to study in UK is noteworthy and prestigious. The process is time-consuming and may need guidance on applying to universities. Our ScotsGrad team is ready to help with the processing of the visa applications. Contact our team at ScotsGrad.com /+91 9176857685 to get a first-hand experience and proceed to apply for a visa to study in UK.
ScotsGrad is a pioneer in establishing the UK, especially Scotland, as a premier destination for higher education among students in India. We provide end to end advisory services including psychometric assessment, personalised interactions, university and visa application assistance, and career guidance. The personalised interactions with our members, former graduates of leading UK universities, ensure a holistic and systematic approach. We are also the only consultancy in India enabling “career success” for any student going to the UK.
Get in touch with us through any of our social media platforms:
All the Best!
Image courtesy – istockphoto.com